Understanding the Drill and Blast Process
The mechanics of drill and blast design
This 1-day course explains the mechanics of drill and blast design; with a focus on the fundamental importance of effective blasting for mine economics.
AusIMM PD Hours
You will learn about:
- Explosive and rock breaking theory - The mechanisms of rock breakage in relation to blasting
- Key geological features that aff ect blasting outcomes and correct explosive selection
- Commercial initiation systems and the importance of timing in good blast design
- Open pit blast design fundamentals
- The importance of field application of blast design, including explosive energy and timing design for specific results
- Controlling over break and smooth wall blasting techniques
- Understanding the causes of flyrock, ground vibration and air blast
- Safe blasting practices and “mine to mill” blasting for best practice
Please Note: You are welcome to bring examples of issues you are facing on-site for group discussion and potential solution.