Geology for Non-Geologists
An introduction to geology - from early exploration to the reporting of mineral resources
This 1-day course teaches key geology and resource estimation concepts, how a company progresses a project from early-stage exploration through to a mining reserve, plus the classification and reporting of mineral resources on the stock exchange.
The hands-on practical activities will give you the opportunity to examine and identify actual rock specimens, experience sampling and sampling error, learn how to interpret geological data, and also interpret mineral resource and exploration results in stock exchange company announcements.
You will gain:
- An introduction to the main rock types (igneous, metamorphic and sedimentary)
- An understanding of the structure of the earth
- An introduction to key deposit types, including iron ore, gold, nickel, base metals and bauxite
- An overview of the formation of coal, oil and gas deposits
- An introduction to common drilling and sample methods, and associated risks
- An overview of resource estimation focusing on metalliferous (yielding metal) deposits
- An understanding of public reporting using the relevant reporting codes including JORC, SAMREC, NI 43-101
- An overview of reading and interpreting reports, as well as key geology and mining terms
The hands-on practical activities will give you the opportunity to:
- Examine and identify actual rock specimens
- Experience sampling and sampling error
- Learn how to interpret geological data
- Interpret mineral resource and exploration results in stock exchange company announcements
Designed for non-geologists working in, associated with or investing in the mining industry.